Saturday 1 December 2012

The Practice Run (1)

I'm writing this blog on the eve of it all starting. Putting together the final touches to the flag, packing, & double checking itineraries (I've checked it 1000 times to be fair, but I fully expect something to be wrong, still)



Tomorrow morning, I set off from Manchester by train for the Edinburgh derby, which should be a cracker. I've wanted to go to Hibs for a long time &, although this was a late addition to our schedule, I'm really looking forward to it. The green & white flag should fit in quite nicely at Easter Road. Kick-off's at 3.30pm, so keep your eyes peeled (it may be more difficult to spot amongst the other green flags)



I took the flag with me to Man City v Everton today as a bit of a practice run for the week ahead. The stewards were very helpful going in, & it raised a lot of attention as they unfolded it to check it, but once inside, as I was sat Lower Tier, there was nowhere to hang it, only advertising hoardings which couldn't be obscured. I asked some stewards to help me out, even to take it up & hang from a higher tier, but it couldn't be done. They did hang it on the wall at the back of the away end, but it was too near the disabled supporters & obstructed a couple of their views, hanging over their heads, so had to come down. Gives us a little bit of food for thought going forward, but most of the tickets we have so far, seem to be in higher tiers, so we can just hang it from the front



Everything that we could do before we leave has been done, so we just have to hope that everything runs for us. I will definitely be updating this blog tomorrow & Monday, after the first 2 legs, but once we're on the continent, things will get a bit more hectic, so just in case I don't get a chance, I'd like to thank a few people for their help on this. 



First of all, my wife Sian who I feel guilty setting off on the adventure of a lifetime, leaving her at home alone. However, she has not only been supportive throughout, she's actively encouraged it. As well as that, she has helped out with every little detail she could. As is the case in every other aspect of my life, I'd be lost without her.


Secondly, when things have (oft) gone pear-shaped, & I've had to deal with the logistics, the publicising of what we're doing has suffered. A friend of the 3 of ours, Hij, has stepped up to the plate & being contacting every possible source he can. His efforts have been a great help & massively appreciated by the 3 of us. 


Paul, who was originally supposed to be coming with us, has carried on researching itineraries & contacting clubs to try & sort things out, even after he was unable to come along. I know he's gutted to be missing out, & circumstances beyond his control have made it impossible, but we really appreciate the work he's put in.



To everyone who's been reading this blog, sharing it via social media, & just taking any sort of interest in Oscar's story. The whole idea of this is to do something novel using a game that unites so many people around the world, using a common interest to promote Oscar's story. He really does deserve all the help he can get, & his parents are inspirational people as well. Everyone who has been donating to our Justgiving page also.It really is appreciated. 



If anyone can suggest anything we can do to use this adventure to promote Oscar's cause further this week, please contact us via the comments. 



To anyone who's new to what exactly we're trying to achieve, please read the original blog,(http://oscarsflag.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/7-top-flight-football-matches-in-7.html) which should explain more. To anyone reading who is unfamiliar with the story of Oscar Knox, please read this blog (http://oscarknox.blogspot.co.uk/). You can also donate to our JustGiving page here (http://www.justgiving.com/7ma7ches7coun7ries7days)



Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment